1. Have you commited yourself to follow the ADJA Code of Professional Conduct?
2. Are you insured? Can you supply me with proof of liability?
3. Will you be willing to play requests and discuss music ahead of time?
4. Do you use Professional Equipment?
5. Do you provide backup equipment at my event?
Booking a reliable Disc Jockey is a very important decision for the success of your party. Selecting a Disc Jockey who is an active member of the American Disc Jockey Association will provide you with the confidence that you have selected a trained professional. A.D.J.A. members are more likely to be involved with other Disc Jockey’s who can help them out with an unexpected situation.
6. Does the Disc Jockey know the proper etiquette for your type of party?
7. How much time do you allow for set-up?
8. Do you provide a written contract?
9. Will you be suitably dressed for our occasion?
10. Do you belong to a professional organization or trade group?
Other Items to Note
Disc Jockey rates vary based on talent, experience, emcee ability, service, coordination, equipment needed, music knowledge, mixing ability and personality.
Rates for the DJ industry vary greatly, ranging from $750.00 to over $5,000.00 with an average of $1,600.00 for a typical event booking. The best price is not always the best deal, especially if you are planning a wedding. As a matter of fact, surveys conclude that nearly 100% of brides would have spent more money on their entertainment and made it their #1 priority in hindsight.
A full-service disc jockey company will normally invest 12 to 30 hours to your special event but it may appear that you are only paying for “4 hours”. Consultations, music purchasing & editing, preparation, set-up and tear-down, education and other business related endeavors add up to the overall success of your special occasion.
What you need to know BEFORE you choose an ipod or a friend with a smartphone for your event.
As is often the case in society, some things or ideas become trendy with little thought to practical implementation.
One example was the "Sponsored Wedding". This idea was based upon all the event service professionals donating their services to your wedding in the hopes of getting business from the other guests. The problem was vendors quickly realized that the only thing sponsored weddings got you was more requests for sponsored weddings. These events typically turned out very badly for brides and grooms as their once in a life time event was considerably less memorable than they would have liked. The trend dies quickly. So people that overspent on some items counting on the reception being paid for by others soon were in trouble as their budget was gone and they were still missing major parts of their event program.
Today, the trendy topic is DIY receptions which uses an ipod or friend with a smartphone and a rented sound system instead of a professional wedding DJ. This idea is fraught with peril, because a great event is more than simply gear and music. It is the talent that a qualified professional brings to the event which matters most. A professional DJ that is a member of the ADJA allows for a smooth flow to the event, with no embarrassing surprises. A Professional DJ from the ADJA can provide you with confidence that your event will flow smoothly and will be an event that you, your family and guests will never forget, instead of one they would like to.
Why ADJA? All DJs listed on our site are committed to the following rules:
• Operate my business in an ethically sound manner while maintaining the highest standards of professional conduct.
• Abide by all laws and regulations governing my professional activities.
• Use legal forms of music and performance materials in the conduct of my entertainment services.
• Be honest and realistic in conveying my talent, abilities, and level of services to my clients.
• Deliver products and services to my clients, as promised, to the best of my abilities.
• Use a written contract clearly stating all charges, services, products, performance expectations and other essential information.
• Provide a safe work environment with adequate protection for my clients and their guests.
• Maintain adequate and appropriate insurance coverage for all business activities.